For the cookies:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 package funfetti or rainbow chip cake mix
For for the frosting:
1 1/2 sticks of butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar, depending on your desired consistency
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
Note: the original cookie recipe called for 8 to 10 minutes at 375°F, but I found that baking slightly longer at 350°F worked better for my cookies.
2. Cream the butter and cream cheese. Blend in egg and vanilla.
3. Add cake mix in two parts, mixing well (it will be a super thick batter—if it is too stiff, add a small quantity of heavy cream to the batter and mix well).
4. Using a small cookie scoop, drop balls of cookie dough on an ungreased baking sheet. Leave about 2 inches between the cookies.
5. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool cookies for at least 15 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a wire cooling rack; the cookies are very delicate when they first come out of the oven and they will break if you try to transfer them too soon.
6. Once completely cool, add a generous dollop of frosting to the bottom of half the cookies.
**note : I have made them without the cream cheese once and they still taste fine! It makes them more crunchy.